Monday, October 24, 2011

Struggling my way home

I should have stayed in Varna and I got thousand proofs for that during my trip home. Starting with my night train experience described in another post, I had really the worst trip in my life. I had to reorganise my bags in the airport because my baggage was 21,7 kg and they wanted me to pay 40 Euros for that. Then they probably thought I am a terrorist because it took them about 10-15 minutes to check my passport in the airport. First a girl was looking at my passport as it was a lettuce, then she called some guy who took my passport, told me to wait and left for 10 minutes and only after that they finally gave it back to me and let me go. With my luck, I don’t know how did they let me to keep my toothpaste, but I had to try my bag with ryanair bag-size-check-box.
When I thought that finally I am in the plane and it will be ok, I noticed that the guy who was sitting next to me was terrified of flying. And of course there was no single free place in the plane. As a result I was able to sleep for only around 1 hour from 3,5 because he was pushing me all the time (not on purpose but because he was all shaking and breathing loud and I don’t know who is this cruel person that convinced him to take this plane, but he should definitely travel by bus or train). When I arrived to London at first everything seemed great (even though I received my bag with a label that it was checked by the security in Plovdiv... still thinking I am a terrorist?), I didn’t have to wait at the security check since they have a separate line for people with electronic passports, and since there are just few, it was really fast to scan my passport with a special device, show my face to the camera and go without any interaction with people.
I left my bag at the storage room and took a bus to Stratford, where I was supposed to meet with a friend of my classmate to get the keys from the apartment I was staying at. On the way my friend told me there is a landlord inspection and I had to wait till 8 pm to go there, well, ok, I went to meet with my cousin, whom I haven’t seen for more than 2 years and actually it was the second time in my life we met.
I got an illusion that things got back to normal when we went to Giraffe and the guy first told us we have to wait for the table 40 minutes, but then there was a free table for us in 1 minute. Well, probably the fact that I walked the main street of the area where my friend lives 3 times back and forward before I found the right turn doesn’t count, but next morning my adventures continued.
In the airport they checked me as I was a terrorist again, touching all my body and scanning my legs with a special device (do I need to mention I was the only person to walk through the scanner in my socks?) No wonder they gave me hot coffee instead of the cold one, I had to pay double for the storage of my bag because I came couple of minutes later than the 24 hours finished, and of course they wanted me to check my bag for fitting in the box again or make me pay 40 pounds. Trying to hold my feelings and strong desire to send them all to hell I just told them I’m not gonna pay a penny, put all my clothes on and jumped on my bag a bit.
During my trip 3 belts for my bags broke (having 2 bags and 3 belts there usually shouldn’t be any problem), I got a strong feeling some power wanted me to stay in Varna. You could get an impression I am really unlucky with travelling, which is totally wrong; this is why I am so impressed with the last 2 days of my life. I'm just amazed my bags weren't lost and I'm finally home safe and sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment