Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Identification?



Let's start this with a quick question to my Latvian friends - how many of you have your personal identification documents with you EVERY TIME you walk out of your home? I think, if we really ask everyone, the percentage will not be high and it will mostly be people who have driving licences and people who smoke and need to show documents to buy cigarettes. I say "personal identification documents" and I mean driving licence or passport, because ... wait ... in Latvia we DON'T have ID. And I think we're the only country if not in the world, than in Europe for sure.

This is why today (after living in Varna for 1 month and 10 days) I was really surprised to hear that actually police can stop me on the street any time and I will have to pay a fine around 50 EUR.
This is why on Sunday I was really angry when they were asking me for ID every time I tried to buy something with my card. In Latvia we need to show ID only when we need to pay more than 200 EUR and anyway, if I know my pin code, it doesn't matter if I pay by card or if I take money from ATM, the only problem is that ATM didn't work in the Grand Mall last Sunday.
Anyway, after having these problems with the shops and this discussion at lunch earlier today I have 2 conclusions. First, I am starting carrying my driving licence with me from tonight. Second, we need ID in Latvia. And this made me to ask google. And the powerful google told me, that in February last year the law was accepted that in the second part of the year 2011 the citizens (and non-citizens, but that's a different story) of Latvia will have an opportunity to get a new document - eID card, eID because it will be electronical. FINALLY. For those of you who speak Latvian - link.
However, here are 2 other problems - first, how much will it cost to us? Second - will I finally be in Latvia when something important is happening? :)

2 comments:

  1. In the US they generally don't have IDs, too, as we know them in Bulgaria. They use their driver's license for identification, because, well, most of the people drive cars. In some cases, when someone's DL has been revoked for good, people are able to get some kind of ID card, but not sure what exactly it is. So, you're not alone. ;-)
    And, yea, I also find the idea of showing id when paying with (debit) card stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will see how the issue of ID's will go in Latvia. I think since we need to payfor it, not everyone willbe happy to have it.
    About cards someone was trying to explain me something about not seeing the money when they come to your account and are spent electronically, but personally I think that it's an old-fashioned opinion and I like using my card much more. In Norway I even bought a bottleof mineral water by card IN THE TRAIN. For the year I lived in Sweden I had cash only when I went to club. It's easier and more convenient to use card, but it's my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete