Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 3 - rainy day

My third day in Varna was rainy and it changed all my plans. That's why instead of going to the beach we went to a shopping mall with Ivelina and Chris. The shopping mall is "the biggest in Bulgaria", according to Ivi. It has 5 levels, a big parking place and of course a huge variety of shops, lots of which could also be found in Latvia.
What is so special about it? Well, in Latvia we have at least 3 shopping centres situated directly in Riga's city center and here in Varna there's not that much space in center to build supermarkets and shopping places. That's why.
On my third day here I can finally say that there are also couple of things that I am not happy about. For example a huge amount of homeless animals. We also have some of those in Latvia, but mostly cats and much less. In Varna you can see cats and dogs everywhere and it is really sad in my opinion, as they look really sad and even sick.
Well actually the dog I met during my walk among the seaside wasn't that sad, it even played with some rubbish it found, like an old ball. Which brings us to a next point: pollution.
Latvia might be even more polluted, I don't really know about that, but seeing with my own eyes how dirty waters from seaside bars and restaurants go directly to the sea in places where people spend their vacation makes me forget about my Swedish lecturer's in Environment and resource economics words that there should never be extremes and there must be a balance between pollution and its abatement.
But so far those are the only disadvantages I could find and it's good that I found those, as nothing could ever be perfect and I will be happy if those will remain the only black stains. All in all it is a really nice place, with beautiful nature that reminds me about my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment