Sunday, July 17, 2011

Happiness and sadness

Airports are places where happiness and sadness are walking together. Airports, bus and train stations, harbors. One of the saddest moments this summer was one month ago, June 18, when Lena and Vlad were leaving to Ukraine after spending a week in Riga with me. This summer 4 of my Erasmus friends visited me in Riga, but I wasn't so sad about Aida and Evelina, because they live in Lithuania, and I know that it takes 2-3 hours by bus to see each other. Erasmus is the best and the worst thing in life. It brings people together, and takes them apart. It's the second thing in life where happiness and sadness are walking together.
Then - really sad moments at the airport in Riga, when my grandparents were sending me off to Bulgaria and my friend Alenka, who works at the airport was following me to the gate.
Then - really happy moments at Varna airport, when Temelko and me were meeting Despina. While we were waiting for her, I saw a little girl, around 6 years old. She just arrived with her mother and her father was meeting them. They needed to wait for their bags, but she was so impatient, that she left her mom to wait for luggage and ran to her dad. We remembered the words from one movie that "airports have seen more love than other places", don't remember the exact quotation...

As a stranger in Bulgaria, I am not involved into political and social issues. I can only say what I see in everyday life. There are always exceptions, but in general, I see that people here are more friendly, more smiling and as a result, seem more happy. "Love is in the air", it seems tome that everyone has a boy/girlfriend and I was really surprised that there are quite a lot of couples at work.
It seems to me that people in Bulgaria are more happy than in some of the other countries I've seen. Of course there are always two sides. It's like two sides of a coin and arrivals and departures at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment